Monday, March 19, 2012

bogus VM error message with Upgrade Wizard

In All Programs/Microsoft SQL Server - Switch is something called SQL Server
Upgrade Wizard. I have no idea what that does, so I thought I'd start it up
and see what happens.
What happens is that I get an error message saying that my virtual memory is
too low, and should be set at the physical memory + 16 MB. My physical
memory is 512 MB and virtual memory is 767 MB, so the error message is
wrong.
Can someone explain what's going on? What does that thing do, anyway?It's designed to upgrade old 6.5 server configuration and databases to SQL
Server 2K. Are you trying to upgrade old 6.5 server configurations and
databases?
"Paul Pedersen" <no-reply@.swen.com> wrote in message
news:efe2nK%23UFHA.584@.TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> In All Programs/Microsoft SQL Server - Switch is something called SQL
> Server Upgrade Wizard. I have no idea what that does, so I thought I'd
> start it up and see what happens.
> What happens is that I get an error message saying that my virtual memory
> is too low, and should be set at the physical memory + 16 MB. My physical
> memory is 512 MB and virtual memory is 767 MB, so the error message is
> wrong.
> Can someone explain what's going on? What does that thing do, anyway?
>
>|||No, just exploring.
But why does it refuse to run?
"Michael C#" <xyz@.abcdef.com> wrote in message
news:Ofrfe.20738$o32.19288@.fe09.lga...
> It's designed to upgrade old 6.5 server configuration and databases to SQL
> Server 2K. Are you trying to upgrade old 6.5 server configurations and
> databases?
> "Paul Pedersen" <no-reply@.swen.com> wrote in message
> news:efe2nK%23UFHA.584@.TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
>|||Maybe because it can't find any 6.5 databases/server configurations? You'd
have to look up the specific reason in the MSKB. Doesn't sound like it's
worth the effort - considering you don't have any 6.5 databases to upgrde
anyway...
"Paul Pedersen" <no-reply@.swen.com> wrote in message
news:uTlQzpEVFHA.2616@.TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> No, just exploring.
> But why does it refuse to run?
>
> "Michael C#" <xyz@.abcdef.com> wrote in message
> news:Ofrfe.20738$o32.19288@.fe09.lga...
>

No comments:

Post a Comment