Sunday, March 25, 2012

books needed

All,
For my project, I need to get familiar with sqlserver2005 in a few
days.But I do not have any books or links, so please provide any links
or books to learn about sqlserver205.
Thanks in advance,
DevrajHi
SQL Server 2005 is a such a large area that there is probably no single book
that will tell you everything. As you have a short timescale you will have to
decide how/what you are going to limit yourself to. If you just want a
product overview then check out the SQL Server website at
http://www.microsoft.com/sql/default.mspx. Books online is also a very good
place to start especially if you are familiar with previous versions of SQL
Server. If you want an overview of how to administer SQL Server 2005 then you
may want to look at Microsoft® SQL Server� 2005 Administrator's Pocket
Consultant
http://www.microsoft.com/mspress/books/6794.asp if you wish to purchase
other books you may want to browse Amazon or Barnes and Nobel and check out
the sample chapters.
John
"hidevraj@.gmail.com" wrote:
> All,
> For my project, I need to get familiar with sqlserver2005 in a few
> days.But I do not have any books or links, so please provide any links
> or books to learn about sqlserver205.
> Thanks in advance,
> Devraj
>|||On 27 Apr 2006 22:50:10 -0700, hidevraj@.gmail.com wrote:
>All,
> For my project, I need to get familiar with sqlserver2005 in a few
>days.But I do not have any books or links, so please provide any links
>or books to learn about sqlserver205.
Hi Devraj
Do you already have experience with SQL Server 2000? If so, then this
message I just sent to someone else will also apply to you.
On Thu, 27 Apr 2006 12:55:34 -0700, Jeremy S. wrote:
>My situation is this: while I have been working extensively with SQL Server
>2000 for 5+ years and am quite comfortable with it, I just took on a project
>that will require SQL Server 2005. The project starts in 3 weeks and I
>haven't really looked at 2005 yet.
>I would appreciate suggestions for reading (links, books, etc) to help me
>get up to speed on 2005.
Hi Jeremy,
I've recently picked up Pro SQL Server 2005 by Thomas Rizzo and a bunch
of others. I've chosen it because it's focus is almost exclusively on
the changes between 2000 and 2005. I didn't want to clutter my bookshelf
with yet another book explaining SELECT and WHERE but I did want to read
about the new features - and this book provided exactly what I wanted. I
must admit that the chapters on XML didn't quite appeal to me, but all
the chhapters before that (on installation, management, T-SQL
enhancements, and .Net integration) were great. I have yet to read the
remaining chapters (on Reporting Services, Analysis Services, security,
Service Broker, automation and monitoring, Integration Services,
Mirroring, and Notification Services).
Another great resource are Microsoft's E-Learning upgrade courses 2936
up to 2944. These all focus on changes between 2000 and 2005. And the
best part is: until November 1, 2006, they are free!
https://www.microsoftelearning.com/sqlserver2005/default.aspx
--
Hugo Kornelis, SQL Server MVP

No comments:

Post a Comment