Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Boolean - Expanded/Collapsed

I have created a matrix where I have booleans on the rows and columns. They are initially in the collapsed state. For reporting purposes, I would like the initial state to to be expanded or at list a quick fix to quickly convert the collapsed booleans to expanded booleans.

I have navigated to the Layout tab and right-clicked the fields that are tied to the boolean and then clicked on the properties. This bring sup the Textbox Properties. From here, I click on the Visibility tab. At the bottom of the textbox is a section "Initial appearance of the toggle image for this report item:". The default choice is marked as collapsed (+). One would logically think that you you would have to do then is select the expanded (-). choice. Well, when I do this, all it simply does is chance the icon from a '+' to a '-' and the fields are still shown as collapsed.

Any ideas on what I need to do?

ttt|||

If I am understand it right, what you will have to do is

1. Select the Entire row and go to the properties

2. Go to "Visibility " --> "Hidden" set this to False if you want this to be expanded or to true.

|||

Expand/Collapse

1) Create a parameter and name it something like "Expand" and name the Prompt "Expand All" or whatever you choose

2) Set the parameter to Boolean

3) Set the default value Non-queried to "True"

4) Click on OK

5) Select properties for the control box that is supporting the +- like you said below

a)"I have navigated to the Layout tab and right-clicked the fields that are tied to the boolean"

6) Click on Visibility

7)Select Expression: and insert this "=Iif(Parameters!Expand.Value = True, True, False)"

8)Click OK

9)Select properties for the matrix and select "Groups"

10) Select the group where you have the "Visibility can be toggled by another report item"

11) Select Expression: and insert this "=Iif(Parameters!Expand.Value = True, False, True)"

12)Click on OK

13)Click on OK

Give it a shot. . .

When you change the parameter, you will need to reselect the view report button.

|||

This post is in response to Techquest ...

If I go to the Layout View, select the row, then right-click and select Properties, I do not see an option for "Visibility". However, if I select just one field, then right-click and select Properties, I do see an option for "Visibility". I have tried to change every single field by doing this (and if I remember correctly -- because it was last week) and it still does not do what I am looking for.

|||

Hi JCU1343,

Your right, you do not want to select the entire row, but instead you want to select just one field in the table. That's where you will find the Visibility control. It should be the field where the "+" and "-" sign will appear. When you insert the code: "=Iif(Parameters!Expand.Value = True, True, False)" in the Expression at the bottom of the "Visibility" tab, this gives control at the parameter level to change the "+" to "-" and back again. Then having selected the properties of the group in your table and selecting the "Visibility" tab for the group you should insert "=Iif(Parameters!Expand.Value = True, False, True)" which will expand/collapse the entire group depending on which choice you selected and you should also see the "checked" field here indicating the "Visibilty can be toggled by another report item". Every time you select the parameter you have to re-run the report.

Hope this helps. . .

Don't forget this feature depends on a parameter, and I know it works because I've used it on at least 8 reports for my company.

|||

FLHTCUI - Arizona Harley Rider:

Thank you so much for your posts (especially the first post). That is exactly what I was looking for/wanted. I truly appreciate it. You are a big help!

Can I direct you over to another post that I created that no one has been able to provide an answer to? It can be found here: http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1852697&SiteID=1

No comments:

Post a Comment