Sunday, March 25, 2012

books needed

All,
For my project, I need to get familiar with sqlserver2005 in a few
days.But I do not have any books or links, so please provide any links
or books to learn about sqlserver205.
Thanks in advance,
DevrajHi
SQL Server 2005 is a such a large area that there is probably no single book
that will tell you everything. As you have a short timescale you will have t
o
decide how/what you are going to limit yourself to. If you just want a
product overview then check out the SQL Server website at
http://www.microsoft.com/sql/default.mspx. Books online is also a very good
place to start especially if you are familiar with previous versions of SQL
Server. If you want an overview of how to administer SQL Server 2005 then yo
u
may want to look at Microsoft? SQL Server? 2005 Administrator's Pocket
Consultant
http://www.microsoft.com/mspress/books/6794.asp if you wish to purchase
other books you may want to browse Amazon or Barnes and Nobel and check out
the sample chapters.
John
"hidevraj@.gmail.com" wrote:

> All,
> For my project, I need to get familiar with sqlserver2005 in a few
> days.But I do not have any books or links, so please provide any links
> or books to learn about sqlserver205.
> Thanks in advance,
> Devraj
>|||On 27 Apr 2006 22:50:10 -0700, hidevraj@.gmail.com wrote:

>All,
> For my project, I need to get familiar with sqlserver2005 in a few
>days.But I do not have any books or links, so please provide any links
>or books to learn about sqlserver205.
Hi Devraj
Do you already have experience with SQL Server 2000? If so, then this
message I just sent to someone else will also apply to you.
On Thu, 27 Apr 2006 12:55:34 -0700, Jeremy S. wrote:

>My situation is this: while I have been working extensively with SQL Server
>2000 for 5+ years and am quite comfortable with it, I just took on a projec
t
>that will require SQL Server 2005. The project starts in 3 weeks and I
>haven't really looked at 2005 yet.
>I would appreciate suggestions for reading (links, books, etc) to help me
>get up to speed on 2005.
Hi Jeremy,
I've recently picked up Pro SQL Server 2005 by Thomas Rizzo and a bunch
of others. I've chosen it because it's focus is almost exclusively on
the changes between 2000 and 2005. I didn't want to clutter my bookshelf
with yet another book explaining SELECT and WHERE but I did want to read
about the new features - and this book provided exactly what I wanted. I
must admit that the chapters on XML didn't quite appeal to me, but all
the chhapters before that (on installation, management, T-SQL
enhancements, and .Net integration) were great. I have yet to read the
remaining chapters (on Reporting Services, Analysis Services, security,
Service Broker, automation and monitoring, Integration Services,
Mirroring, and Notification Services).
Another great resource are Microsoft's E-Learning upgrade courses 2936
up to 2944. These all focus on changes between 2000 and 2005. And the
best part is: until November 1, 2006, they are free!
https://www.microsoftelearning.com/...05/default.aspx
Hugo Kornelis, SQL Server MVP

No comments:

Post a Comment