Thursday, March 22, 2012

Book Recommendations

Hello -
My background is networking and system administration. I know basic
programming constructs, and have done .bat, VBA, and *nix shell
scripting/programming. I am looking for, at most, two books that can
help me in my new role as DBA. Most of my SQL work will be bringing
in data that our database application's GUI can't deal with. An
example is to do Inserts Where IDs are In a list.
What recommendations do you have on books that will serve my purpose?
Thanks
-tomThe Guru's guide to Transact by SQL Ken Henderson
Inside SQL server 2000 by Kalen Delaney
http://sqlservercode.blogspot.com/
"tom" wrote:

> Hello -
> My background is networking and system administration. I know basic
> programming constructs, and have done .bat, VBA, and *nix shell
> scripting/programming. I am looking for, at most, two books that can
> help me in my new role as DBA. Most of my SQL work will be bringing
> in data that our database application's GUI can't deal with. An
> example is to do Inserts Where IDs are In a list.
> What recommendations do you have on books that will serve my purpose?
> Thanks
> -tom
>|||"The Guru's guide to Transact by SQL Ken Henderson" is a great book for SQL
programmers.
I would also recommend "Sams teach yourself MS SQL Server in 21 days" for
more dba related issues.
Archer
"SQL" wrote:
> The Guru's guide to Transact by SQL Ken Henderson
> Inside SQL server 2000 by Kalen Delaney
>
> http://sqlservercode.blogspot.com/
>
> "tom" wrote:
>|||Tom,
1. Inside SQL server 2000 by Kalen Delaney -- by far the most indepth and
the best
2. Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Unleashed by Ray Rankins
or
Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Bible by Paul Nielsen
Optional 3rd - for T-SQL programming:
3. Professional SQL Server 2000 Programming by Robert Vieira
HTH
Jerry
"tom" <tomfeldsten@.hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:1127404813.829779.198790@.z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com...
> Hello -
> My background is networking and system administration. I know basic
> programming constructs, and have done .bat, VBA, and *nix shell
> scripting/programming. I am looking for, at most, two books that can
> help me in my new role as DBA. Most of my SQL work will be bringing
> in data that our database application's GUI can't deal with. An
> example is to do Inserts Where IDs are In a list.
> What recommendations do you have on books that will serve my purpose?
> Thanks
> -tom
>|||Get a book on RDBMS basics. SQL is a declarative, high level language
which is nothing like you have seen or used before. Once you have
foundations, then get some of my books. SQL FOR SMARTIES is a classic,
but you might want to start with SQL PROGRAMMING STYLE or DATA &
DATABASES.
.|||Tom,
SQL for Smarties is a fine book. I do not have a copy of the others but I'm
sure they are good as well.
Nice job by the way Joe.
Jerry
"--CELKO--" <jcelko212@.earthlink.net> wrote in message
news:1127415608.320083.296190@.g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
> Get a book on RDBMS basics. SQL is a declarative, high level language
> which is nothing like you have seen or used before. Once you have
> foundations, then get some of my books. SQL FOR SMARTIES is a classic,
> but you might want to start with SQL PROGRAMMING STYLE or DATA &
> DATABASES.
> .
>|||>The Guru's guide to Transact by SQL Ken Henderson
in fact, all the books by Ken Henderson|||Joe Celko highly recommends The Guru's Guide to Transact SQL by Ken Henderso
n.
I have read SQL for Smarties and it's good, I really enjoyed SQL Puzzles and
Answers.
Joe do you intend to write an updated puzzle book any time soon?
If so let us know.
http://sqlservercode.blogspot.com/
"Jerry Spivey" wrote:

> Tom,
> SQL for Smarties is a fine book. I do not have a copy of the others but I
'm
> sure they are good as well.
> Nice job by the way Joe.
> Jerry
> "--CELKO--" <jcelko212@.earthlink.net> wrote in message
> news:1127415608.320083.296190@.g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
>
>|||> but you might want to start with SQL PROGRAMMING STYLE
well I have ped insed, thanks to Amazon, and I'm a little bit
surprised
the recommendation to use stored procedures (p. 122) and not to use
functions (p. 123). is it really consistent?
you list "portabilty problems" as reason to avoid UDFs, but for
- T-SQL (MS SQL Server)
- PL/SQL (Oracle)
- SQL-PL (DB2)
SQL UDFs are just as portatble, or not portable, as stored procedures
I don't see any major difference in portability between stored
prodeures and UDFs. Could you please explain?|||also the statement on the same that udfs are not inline seems to be not
true, sometimes they are (MS SQL Server):
create table states(state char(2))
insert into states values('IL')
insert into states values('MI')
insert into states values('WI')
create table stateNames(state char(2), sname varchar(20))
insert into stateNames values('IL', 'Illinois')
insert into stateNames values('MI', 'Michigan')
insert into stateNames values('WI', 'Wisconsin')
CREATE FUNCTION getAllStateNames()
RETURNS TABLE
AS
RETURN ( select sname from stateNames )
now look at the execution plan of this statement:
select * from states,getAllStateNames()
obviously the UDF's body is compiled into it. the plan clearly
describes access to stateNames
AFAIK in Oracle the plan would not display what is accessed inside the
UDF, but Oracle is very different

No comments:

Post a Comment