Monday, March 19, 2012

BMCPatrol/BackupExec with MSDE and SQL Server Enterprise Edition

I have a odd situation and am unsure of my best option.
We use BMC Patrol to monitor an Enterprise Edition database. A server guy
came along and installed Backup Exec to make some one-off tape backups for a
vendor. He installed and decided to use MSDE. MSDE is now installed on my
server as well. I would never had known this except that BMC Patrol now has
no idea where my Enterprise Edition instance has gone to nor does it
recognize its existance.
BMC Patrol support bounced back the request for help by saying that MSDE has
"corrupted" registry settings and promoted itself somehow as the primary
instance in the registry.
Questions: Uninstalling MSDE did not resolve the situation.
- Is there such a registry setting?
- Is there a known, supported way to reverse this situation?
- Is my only alternative to re-install the SQL Server Enterprise Edition?
Thanks
hi Andy,
Andy Sprecher wrote:
> I have a odd situation and am unsure of my best option.
> We use BMC Patrol to monitor an Enterprise Edition database. A
> server guy came along and installed Backup Exec to make some one-off
> tape backups for a vendor. He installed and decided to use MSDE.
> MSDE is now installed on my server as well. I would never had known
> this except that BMC Patrol now has no idea where my Enterprise
> Edition instance has gone to nor does it recognize its existance.
> BMC Patrol support bounced back the request for help by saying that
> MSDE has "corrupted" registry settings and promoted itself somehow as
> the primary instance in the registry.
> Questions: Uninstalling MSDE did not resolve the situation.
> - Is there such a registry setting?
> - Is there a known, supported way to reverse this situation?
> - Is my only alternative to re-install the SQL Server Enterprise
> Edition?
I knew that installing MSDE sp3a on servers running SQL Server 2000 sp4 will
corrupt the registry in the
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\80\Tools\ClientSetup
SQLPath key
that's to say that breaks accessing Query Analyzer and SQL Profiler from
Enterprise manager, but this is the only problem I'm aware of.. BTW there's
no concept of "primary instance", just default and named instance, but
installing MSDE on a previously installed SQL Server (default or named
instance) server does not involve the reported scenario... this has been
tested for sure :D
I do not know which registry key is BMC Patrol tool querying on, and this
can be related to the reported corruption, but I really have no further
hints... I think you have to open a case with Microsoft PSS..
Andrea Montanari (Microsoft MVP - SQL Server)
http://www.asql.biz/DbaMgr.shtmhttp://italy.mvps.org
DbaMgr2k ver 0.14.0 - DbaMgr ver 0.59.0
(my vb6+sql-dmo little try to provide MS MSDE 1.0 and MSDE 2000 a visual
interface)
-- remove DMO to reply
|||Andrea Montanari wrote:
> I do not know which registry key is BMC Patrol tool querying on, and
> this can be related to the reported corruption, but I really have no
> further hints... I think you have to open a case with Microsoft PSS..
just an additional note... before calling Microsoft PSS, I'd check that your
Enterprise instance runs smoothly and as expected, that no errors are raised
(scan your log and event viewer) and I'd contact again BMC for the registry
key they thin are messed up...
Andrea Montanari (Microsoft MVP - SQL Server)
http://www.asql.biz/DbaMgr.shtmhttp://italy.mvps.org
DbaMgr2k ver 0.14.0 - DbaMgr ver 0.59.0
(my vb6+sql-dmo little try to provide MS MSDE 1.0 and MSDE 2000 a visual
interface)
-- remove DMO to reply

No comments:

Post a Comment