Thursday, March 8, 2012

Blocking

Hi
I have lot of blocking issues in my DB and complaining to my vendor did not
yield any results.They point that DB is the bottleneck.I have a application
running 4 cpu box with 4 GB RAM.I get blocking every hour.
I am thiniking of writing a script which would run continuosly and kill the
blocking header thread spid if in case it happens to be only 'select'.This
would take an input parameter of seconds which can be max execution time tha
t
killer sql can take.
Awaiting cooments and help on writing this scripts.
Recthttp://www.sqlservercentral.com/col...m/deadlocks.asp
You need to clean up the code.. or figure out the cause...
"Rect" <Rect@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:89D494F7-8B6A-49C3-B36B-FC4AB3120CDF@.microsoft.com...
> Hi
> I have lot of blocking issues in my DB and complaining to my vendor did
not
> yield any results.They point that DB is the bottleneck.I have a
application
> running 4 cpu box with 4 GB RAM.I get blocking every hour.
> I am thiniking of writing a script which would run continuosly and kill
the
> blocking header thread spid if in case it happens to be only 'select'.This
> would take an input parameter of seconds which can be max execution time
that
> killer sql can take.
> Awaiting cooments and help on writing this scripts.
> Rect|||Hi Sloan,
We are killing only the spid if they block and do only 'select' right?
Do you think it will harm my application anyway?
The problem is, blocking happeing only during heavy load.
We are considering this only as short term solution
Rect
"sloan" wrote:

> http://www.sqlservercentral.com/col...m/deadlocks.asp
> You need to clean up the code.. or figure out the cause...
>
>
> "Rect" <Rect@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:89D494F7-8B6A-49C3-B36B-FC4AB3120CDF@.microsoft.com...
> not
> application
> the
> that
>
>|||On Thu, 27 Apr 2006 10:41:02 -0700, Rect wrote:

>Hi
>I have lot of blocking issues in my DB and complaining to my vendor did not
>yield any results.They point that DB is the bottleneck.I have a application
>running 4 cpu box with 4 GB RAM.I get blocking every hour.
>I am thiniking of writing a script which would run continuosly and kill the
>blocking header thread spid if in case it happens to be only 'select'.This
>would take an input parameter of seconds which can be max execution time th
at
>killer sql can take.
>Awaiting cooments and help on writing this scripts.
>Rect
Hi Rect,
You gave no details on the size of the DB and the number of concurrent
transactions - but the most probable cause is an application that has
not been optimized for concurrency. Instead of killing transactions, I'd
suggest you talk to the vendor again and instruct them to fix the
problem.

> They point that DB is the bottleneck.
Yeah - but if they designed the DB and built the application that uses
the DB, then who's to blame for the DB being the botlleneck?
Hugo Kornelis, SQL Server MVP

No comments:

Post a Comment