Sunday, March 11, 2012

Blocking Threshold Exceeded

I have a site that calls a stored procedure to populate data on an ASP page.
50% of the time when I access this page I get a timeout error. I looked in
the Event Viewer and noticed MSSQLSERVER errors with this description:
Error: 50001, Severity: 16, State: 1
Blocking Threshold Exceeded, Threshold at 3. Total Blockers at 44
The total blockers number changes occasionaly but I don't know what this
means and how to fix it. I am not doing anything complex with the stored
procedure. It is a select statement which joins multiple tables. No
inserts, updates, or deletes are being done.
Does anyone have an idea how to correct this?
Thanks.Even though the procedure that performs the query is not
inserting/updating/deleting, is this still being done by any process? When
it actually completes, what is the average and maximum runtime of the query?
Also, the following article describes various methods for identifying what
processes are blocked, what process is doing the blocking, and what specific
T-SQL statement is blocking.
INF: Understanding and Resolving SQL Server 7.0 or 2000 Blocking Problems
http://support.microsoft.com/defaul...kb;EN-US;224453
If this is a reporting type query against data potentially with uncommitted
transactions, then you may want to consider using "set transaction isolation
level read uncommitted", so long as you understand how this can impact the
results. Read up on this in Books Online.
"Jason" <Jason@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:A1346683-78D7-40CE-9F7F-3AE8521D392F@.microsoft.com...
>I have a site that calls a stored procedure to populate data on an ASP
>page.
> 50% of the time when I access this page I get a timeout error. I looked
> in
> the Event Viewer and noticed MSSQLSERVER errors with this description:
> Error: 50001, Severity: 16, State: 1
> Blocking Threshold Exceeded, Threshold at 3. Total Blockers at 44
> The total blockers number changes occasionaly but I don't know what this
> means and how to fix it. I am not doing anything complex with the stored
> procedure. It is a select statement which joins multiple tables. No
> inserts, updates, or deletes are being done.
> Does anyone have an idea how to correct this?
> Thanks.
>

No comments:

Post a Comment