Sunday, March 11, 2012

blocking prevent maintenance to run

I am having intermittent issues with a team that has an Access front end
that hits SQL2000sp3a+. They are wanting me to do some type of kill of all
users in the db prior to running the DBCC DBREINDEX that is done during the
night. Granted I could do a DBCC INDEXDEFRAG for online.
I see the application causing the problem. They have confirmed that some
users are leaving reports open that are bound to data, which I assume is
causing the issue.
1. Is it possible to selectively kill the process that is causing the block
as to kill all users in the db?
I am open to ideas how to address the issue. How to battle being forced to
implement a server side bandaid to a application issue.Look up Alter Database in BOL. See the restricted_user and single_user
options with Rollback Immediate.
"CD" <mcdye1@.hotmail.REMOVETHIS.com> wrote in message
news:OJJRZhzdFHA.612@.TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
>I am having intermittent issues with a team that has an Access front end
>that hits SQL2000sp3a+. They are wanting me to do some type of kill of all
>users in the db prior to running the DBCC DBREINDEX that is done during the
>night. Granted I could do a DBCC INDEXDEFRAG for online.
> I see the application causing the problem. They have confirmed that some
> users are leaving reports open that are bound to data, which I assume is
> causing the issue.
> 1. Is it possible to selectively kill the process that is causing the
> block as to kill all users in the db?
> I am open to ideas how to address the issue. How to battle being forced
> to implement a server side bandaid to a application issue.
>

No comments:

Post a Comment