Saturday, February 25, 2012

BLOBs and Stored Procedures

I have been told that using BLOBS and Stored Procedures is a bad thing.
Running the SQL in the page is the only correct way. We are using SQL Serve
r
2000 - soon to go to 2005. Could someone direct me to documentation that
addresses this situation?
--
Tonywho told you this?
BLOBS I can see why people would advise you to avoid them, they aren't
bad things, they just have the capability to be used badly.
Stored procedures are very good things, by "running the SQL in the page
is the only correct way" do you mean passing SQL as a string to your
sqlCommand objects? is this just for when you are using BLOBS or all
SQL you run?|||some of the key benefits of stored procedures are mentioned in this
article:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/d...>
_07_31vb.asp|||Will,
Thanks for getting back to me. I have used Stored Procedures for years.
No, my questions is specific to BLOBS and stored procedures. (I have heard
all the negatives about BLOBS - pdfs in databases, but I have a client ...)
My DBAs tell me that 'adding' a layer to the data process - for BLOBs only-
is too high a price to pay (resources) for me to use them.
I can't find definitive proof one way or the other. I would really like to
continue to use my data layer and not use in-page SQL (ADO .Net to SQL Serve
r
with no SP). I can't argue to vehemently because I don't know if a query
plan is even generated for the BLOB handling SP.
With over twelve years of experience with SQL Server, I have never seen a
situation where performance was better without a stored procedure. But SQL
has to handle BLOBs differently, so I was hoping to find something to suppor
t
either side of the argument that I could take to my DBAs.
Thanks for your time.
--
Tony
"Will" wrote:

> some of the key benefits of stored procedures are mentioned in this
> article:
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/d...
es_07_31vb.asp
>

No comments:

Post a Comment