Friday, February 24, 2012

Blaster Worm Patch incompatibility with SQL 2k

I have heard of a couple of instances when the MS Blaster
patch is applied to a SQL 2k server, the server then has
problems booting back into Windows 2000. I have also
heard that MS PSS is aware of this issue, but information
hasn't come out on it yet.
Does anyone know what the incompatibility is between the
MS Blaster Worm fix and SQL Server 2000 on a Windows 2000
server? If so, please let me know.
Thanks,
DaveHI John,
Thanks for the offer. I did see the RAS alert yesterday.
The SQL server / MS Blaster patch incompatibility was
mentioned to a colleague of mine by PSS last night, after
he applied the patch and couldn't get the SQL server to
boot into Windows correctly. It may be something that
hasnt officially been communicated from MS yet maybe.
Thanks,
Dave
>--Original Message--
>I subscribe to the microsoft security bulletins and
>according to the one I received yesterday that flaw in
>their patch has to do with RAS not SQL. I can froward
the
>email directly to you if you wish.
>JOhn
>
>>--Original Message--
>>I have heard of a couple of instances when the MS
Blaster
>>patch is applied to a SQL 2k server, the server then has
>>problems booting back into Windows 2000. I have also
>>heard that MS PSS is aware of this issue, but
information
>>hasn't come out on it yet.
>>Does anyone know what the incompatibility is between the
>>MS Blaster Worm fix and SQL Server 2000 on a Windows
2000
>>server? If so, please let me know.
>>Thanks,
>>Dave
>>.
>.
>|||I've had the patch installed for a month and haven't seen a problem.
A question on your wording. Is the problem that Windows won't boot after
the patch is installed on a Windows system that is used as a SQL Server, or
that SQL Server won't start on a Windows system that has the patch
installed?
--
Hal Berenson, SQL Server MVP
True Mountain Group LLC
"Dave" <dnajac@.ezecastlesoftware.com> wrote in message
news:00ad01c3627c$041779e0$a301280a@.phx.gbl...
> HI John,
> Thanks for the offer. I did see the RAS alert yesterday.
> The SQL server / MS Blaster patch incompatibility was
> mentioned to a colleague of mine by PSS last night, after
> he applied the patch and couldn't get the SQL server to
> boot into Windows correctly. It may be something that
> hasnt officially been communicated from MS yet maybe.
> Thanks,
> Dave
> >--Original Message--
> >I subscribe to the microsoft security bulletins and
> >according to the one I received yesterday that flaw in
> >their patch has to do with RAS not SQL. I can froward
> the
> >email directly to you if you wish.
> >
> >JOhn
> >
> >
> >
> >>--Original Message--
> >>I have heard of a couple of instances when the MS
> Blaster
> >>patch is applied to a SQL 2k server, the server then has
> >>problems booting back into Windows 2000. I have also
> >>heard that MS PSS is aware of this issue, but
> information
> >>hasn't come out on it yet.
> >>
> >>Does anyone know what the incompatibility is between the
> >>MS Blaster Worm fix and SQL Server 2000 on a Windows
> 2000
> >>server? If so, please let me know.
> >>
> >>Thanks,
> >>Dave
> >>.
> >>
> >.
> >|||What's a coincidence! One of my SQL boxes is having a similar problem.
This is a production server hosting SQL 2K as a backend for IIS on another
box. The O/S is W2K; both W2K and SQL2K are with most current SP and
patches. Starting about a month ago I lost connection to the box after I
restarted it. All production servers are at a data center so I had to drive
to the data center and did a power-off, power-on. When I arrived I saw a
DOS prompt blinking on the screen. That's it. It seemed that the box was
able to shut down SQL but failed to startup the OS. It happens twice to
this box so we are planning to rebuild this box. We don't want to drive to
the data center in the midnight just to cold boot the server. Can anyone at
MS verify this?
BTW, I have 5 SQL boxes and just one has this problem.
"Dave" <dnajac@.ezecastlesoftware.com> wrote in message
news:0a1601c36323$d9ae2660$a501280a@.phx.gbl...
> The issue that I heard of was that once this patch was
> applied to a Windows 2000 server running SQL 2000, upon
> reboot the Windows OS woould not complete startup
> successfully due to a logical disk error during the
> startup of Windows 2000.
> >--Original Message--
> >I've had the patch installed for a month and haven't seen
> a problem.
> >
> >A question on your wording. Is the problem that Windows
> won't boot after
> >the patch is installed on a Windows system that is used
> as a SQL Server, or
> >that SQL Server won't start on a Windows system that has
> the patch
> >installed?
> >
> >--
> >Hal Berenson, SQL Server MVP
> >True Mountain Group LLC
> >
> >
> >"Dave" <dnajac@.ezecastlesoftware.com> wrote in message
> >news:00ad01c3627c$041779e0$a301280a@.phx.gbl...
> >> HI John,
> >>
> >> Thanks for the offer. I did see the RAS alert
> yesterday.
> >> The SQL server / MS Blaster patch incompatibility was
> >> mentioned to a colleague of mine by PSS last night,
> after
> >> he applied the patch and couldn't get the SQL server to
> >> boot into Windows correctly. It may be something that
> >> hasnt officially been communicated from MS yet maybe.
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >> Dave
> >> >--Original Message--
> >> >I subscribe to the microsoft security bulletins and
> >> >according to the one I received yesterday that flaw in
> >> >their patch has to do with RAS not SQL. I can froward
> >> the
> >> >email directly to you if you wish.
> >> >
> >> >JOhn
> >> >
> >> >
> >> >
> >> >>--Original Message--
> >> >>I have heard of a couple of instances when the MS
> >> Blaster
> >> >>patch is applied to a SQL 2k server, the server then
> has
> >> >>problems booting back into Windows 2000. I have also
> >> >>heard that MS PSS is aware of this issue, but
> >> information
> >> >>hasn't come out on it yet.
> >> >>
> >> >>Does anyone know what the incompatibility is between
> the
> >> >>MS Blaster Worm fix and SQL Server 2000 on a Windows
> >> 2000
> >> >>server? If so, please let me know.
> >> >>
> >> >>Thanks,
> >> >>Dave
> >> >>.
> >> >>
> >> >.
> >> >
> >
> >
> >.
> >

No comments:

Post a Comment