Friday, February 24, 2012

BLOB and varying length binary data

I'm not sure about this as I don't have SQL Server handy. My question is if
you have already declared some binary data field say 1500 bytes per record.
Can SQL Server extend the length of the field if I suddenly need more like
3000 bytes for example? So is the field length dynamically adjustable? I
want it to be 1500 bytes long unless 3000 bytes data item has been
found/scanned. I don't want to allocate more as it consumes more disk space.
It goes like half of a G records, so variable length would be desirable..
Any ideas are welcome.
Thanks
Jack
Jacky,
Up to 8,000 bytes you can use the varbinary data type. After that, you can
use image data type (up to 2GB).
Dejan Sarka, SQL Server MVP
Associate Mentor
Solid Quality Learning
More than just Training
www.SolidQualityLearning.com
"Jacky Luk" <jl@.knight.com> wrote in message
news:uwpMWF4IEHA.2948@.TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
> I'm not sure about this as I don't have SQL Server handy. My question is
if
> you have already declared some binary data field say 1500 bytes per
record.
> Can SQL Server extend the length of the field if I suddenly need more like
> 3000 bytes for example? So is the field length dynamically adjustable? I
> want it to be 1500 bytes long unless 3000 bytes data item has been
> found/scanned. I don't want to allocate more as it consumes more disk
space.
> It goes like half of a G records, so variable length would be desirable..
> Any ideas are welcome.
> Thanks
> Jack
>
|||Thank you very much Dejan )
Jacky
"Dejan Sarka" <dejan_please_reply_to_newsgroups.sarka@.avtenta.si > gl
sD:uzutsD6IEHA.3248@.TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...[vbcol=seagreen]
> Jacky,
> Up to 8,000 bytes you can use the varbinary data type. After that, you can
> use image data type (up to 2GB).
> --
> Dejan Sarka, SQL Server MVP
> Associate Mentor
> Solid Quality Learning
> More than just Training
> www.SolidQualityLearning.com
> "Jacky Luk" <jl@.knight.com> wrote in message
> news:uwpMWF4IEHA.2948@.TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
> if
> record.
like[vbcol=seagreen]
> space.
desirable..
>

No comments:

Post a Comment